In the past, teeth with diseased nerves were extracted. Today, advances in dental care allow dentists to perform root canal therapy to save a natural tooth from an infection.
We only extract teeth as a last resort, because your natural teeth are uniquely built to suit your needs! Root canal is a surprisingly comfortable way to protect your true teeth and regain your oral health.
If you suspect that you might need root canal therapy, it is important to come to Smilecology for an exam straight away. If left untreated, the bacteria may travel down into the canal and into the jawbone.
Why Get Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy refers to cleaning out and sealing the inside of the tooth that is originally occupied by “pulp tissue.” Root canal therapy has three purposes:
- Stop the severe pain that an infected tooth causes.
- Prevent bacteria to spreading to the jaw and causing bone weakening and tooth loss.
- Preserve the original tooth instead of replacing it.
At Smilecology, we make root canal therapy pleasant and comfortable, and we can complete the process in just one to three appointments.
Do I Need a Root Canal?
Some patients do not notice pain at the beginning of an infection. However, signs that you might need a root canal include:
- Severe toothache
- Pain upon chewing or applying pressure to the tooth
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods or drinks
- Dark discoloration of the tooth
- Swelling and tenderness in the surrounding gums
What Happens During a Root Canal?
During treatment, your dentist will remove the affected tissue. The interior of the tooth will be cleaned and sealed, then filled with a dental composite. If the tooth has extensive decay, Dr. Phan may suggest a dental crown to protect the tooth from breakage.
Let us help you restore your teeth for a lifetime of health. Contact us at Smilecology today.